Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Shima at 6 Years Old with her Natural Hair!


I find myself having to show my non-believers my baby and/or childhood pics  on countless occasions in an effort to show them that "Bad Hair" can grow very, very long. But then guess what happens? "Oh your hair isn't kinky enough or oh your hair isn't nappy enough or you STILL have alot of hair....." This pre-conditioned mindset from many of our Black women that only "Good Hair" meaning Caucasian-like hair can grow very, very long should be legally declared a state of emergency. It is truly a sad day when even showing Proof of something that will benefit YOU if you apply it to yourself is bashed, ridiculed and/or dismissed as garbage. I have come a loooong way since my Natural-haired days and my shoulder-length hair days and experienced every type of negativity you can imagine.....and I'm not just talking about my hair. We are sadly living in a world that THRIVES on putting positive-minded people down and snuffing away their dreams before they even get a proper lift off. I have all the strikes a human-being living in America can have.

1. I am Black (Cuban of African-descent) 2. I speak Spanish 3.I am a female. 4 I am intelligent  5. I have talents 6. I am brave (for a female) 7. I have dreams and making them come true

And THAT'S just scratching the surface. I can go into the nitty gritty details of the 7 Strikes I have just listed but I will leave that for my autobiography as I don't want my blog to go in that particular direction just yet. I am only saying this so that first you can see what I have been up against and still succeeded against the odds AND  because I have soooo many young Black women who look up to me. I want them to know that they are NOT alone and that they too can succeed against the odds as long as we continue to support and help one another.

5 comments:

  1. Amen Shima! I know the feeling of being ridiculed and bashed for being positive and a good person. You are beautiful and so smart . Most of all, you have a good heart. I am very proud of you. Keep being you, and always know you are appreciated. You have my total support always. Have a good night!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Finally a blog to follow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second that Amen! I love how real you are about the "ugly truth" we women of color need to face and that is our own minds working against us. Time to think outside the box and unlimit ourselves. I look forward to reading your updates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Shima for creating this blog. We women of color attack and put each other down too much. We don't support each other enough. Hair is a very important thing in the black community and I am glad you are doing something positive for black women - helping us learn how to grow and take care of our hair. it may seem trivial but it isn't!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi shima i love your hair!! my hair was waist length until i cut it a few months ago. now its almost back to mid back length (MBL). see, i learned a long time ago how to make my hair get longer, im 100% african american with this kinky hair. when i heard you talk about hair for the first time, i had already knew all the information that you mention. im glad i can do something right! lol. question though, will you every cut your ends off, becuase they look kinda see-through. (no harm intended)
    LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete